Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Record Review: Goldmund

Goldmund
Malady of Elegance
[2008, Type Records]
2.5/5

At long last, another of my reviews was posted on Tiny Mixtapes. Read it here. It's an album of stark piano pieces, fragile to the point of breaking. This is very often beautiful, but homogeneity kills the album, as the songs' tempi fall mostly within largo territory. Worth checking out if you want something to put on while doing homework/studying/sleeping/cooking/other mundane task. Ok, that was too harsh. Half of these pieces are really great, and should be sought out. Recommended tracks: "Image-Autumn-Womb," "Apalachee," "Clement Danes," and "Evelyn." 
Overall, I think the musician (Keith Kenniff) should stick to his Helios project. Eingya had many lovely songs, and his latest (which I'm getting shipped to me soon...) Caesura will (hopefully) be good as well.

I have a review waiting to be posted that I gave a 4/5, so I don't want you to think I'm some curmudgeonly snob. Also, if you're looking for a really great piano-centric album, I highly recommend Hauschka's latest, Ferndorf.
My favorite track from that one is "Neuschnee." It's got an almost Bill Evans-y sensibility about it. 

No comments: