Monday, October 5, 2009

Capsule Review: The XX

Photobucket
The XX
XX
[2009, Young Turks/XL]
4/5 (Heavy Rotation)

The four members of The XX met at London’s Elliot School, the same university that counts Burial, Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) and members of Hot Chip as alumni. The unique vocal dynamic of Oliver Sim and Romy Madley-Croft combines the disaffected quality of brooding 80s guitar pop bands with the sensuality of American pop R&B divas. It’s an unusual formula, but a surprisingly effective one. XX, their debut for Young Turks/XL Recordings is sparse yet incredibly immersive and spacious. A dark, atmospheric, and oddly sexy album of pop songs, XX is a very well crafted debut from these four promising twenty year-olds. I initially avoided this due to the massive amount of hype surrounding it (and the awful album cover), but I'm glad I finally checked it out after a friend recommended it.

Listen
Buy it

2 comments:

David D said...

I have only heard one or two tracks from this album. XM radio plays the XX frequently, and I catch myself dancing while driving when the songs are on.

Unknown said...

I really like this CD, wvfs played some one day and I heard it. I agree about the cover art being terrible.